Macau is officially known as the Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (Macau SAR). The Macau SAR insurance regulator is the Monetary Authority of Macau, known by its Portuguese acronym ‘AMCM’, which operates under the authority of Macau SAR’s Chief Executive. The Insurance Supervision Department is AMCM’s dedicated insurance unit. Insurers and Reinsurers that intend to provide services in Macau on a regular basis must be previously licensed to do so and will be either life or non-life. Composite licences are not granted.
Macau Insurance License Key Feature
- A company carrying on business as an insurance broker or insurance agent must be approved by AMCM and at least one individual must be appropriately qualified.
- A foreign insurer must be licensed and have been in operation for more than five years in its country or territory of origin, must have sound business and financial ability and have no record of material violation of laws and regulations in order to be permitted to establish a branch.
- A foreign insurer will only be permitted to carry on in Macau, through its authorized branch, the class of insurance for which it is licensed and which it effectively operates in its jurisdiction.
- Prior approval from AMCM is required to directly or indirectly acquire more than 10 per cent of the share capital or of the voting rights in a Macau incorporated insurance company.
Macau Insurance License Legal Requirements
|Macau Insurance Licence||Description|
|Share capital or equivalent|
|| i. Insurance companies (life) – MOP $30 million
ii. Insurance companies (non-life) – MOP $15 million
iii. Reinsurance companies (life) – MOP $150 million
iv. Reinsurance companies (non-life)- MOP $100 million
|Service Providers Required|
Macau Insurance Tax Treatment
- Insurance companies MOP 500
- There is no VAT regime in Macau.
- Stamp duty is payable on certain types of documents and stampable transactions at a small fixed amount or at rates ranging from 0.1% to 10% on the value represented by the documents and transactions.
Macau Insurance License Duration to Set Up
Macau Insurance Distinctive Benefits
- Large foreign exchanges reserves
- Low taxation
- Few exchange controls or foreign currency regulations
- Free trade economic system
Why US (Key Strengths)
- We will advise you on the optimal legal structure for your requirements, size, expectations and circumstances.
- Valsen will assist to complete every form for each process in the best way we know how (Based on our many years’ experience with various regulators and service providers across the world)
- We are very hands on in the post filing period checking with re regulator and service providers and updating you regularly.
- Any queries raised by the regulators and service providers during processing will be quickly synthesized by us and we shall craft the right responses to move the process forward fast.
- We have a full in-house compliance support for all compliance requirements with the regulator and service providers